Dating in dunedin

Simon Rae remembers living there in 1960, when he was a student in his first year at the University of Otago.‘Mrs Chris’ was the landlady and the boarders were ‘all younger single men, a wonderful mix, workers and students’.She initially leased the property before purchasing it in 1888, when she changed the name from Albion House to Albyn House.Albion is the oldest known name for the island of Great Britain, and Albyn is a variant with romantic literary associations. Trimble, who became the first Hocken Librarian, and Whampoa Fraser, the first principal of what is now Fraser High School in Hamilton.

An early photograph shows the hotel set back from a roughly formed street, in almost rural isolation.Noding claimed that one of his guests, Captain Peter Greig, had demanded alcohol after hours and been very noisy, ‘playing leap frog and other improper games in the parlour’.Greig was asked to leave, but refused and threatened to horsewhip his landlord.Members of the North Dunedin Cricket Club held meetings in the building, including one on 6 February 1864, the day they officially opened the North Ground.On one occasion a perambulator was stolen from the verandah and taken on a little adventure as a ‘lark’ – evidence, should it be needed, that alcohol-influenced pranks in the area predate the university and its students by some years.

Leave a Reply